Charities and organisations that support international students


In terms of direct community ethnic minority groups and organisations in the Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole (BCP) and broader Dorset and adjacent Hampshire (including Southampton and Portsmouth), the UK Nepal Friendship Society (UKNFS), and One Community Hampshire and Dorset (OCHD) are the two principal BAME community charities/organisations providing, established, substantial direct advocacy (taking up a case or issue raised by an international student), signposting and support services.

National level given nationality or ethnicity organisations that provide international students support or guidance and connections assistance exist.

Advice for before coming to the UK: you should before coming to the UK research on given nationality or ethnicity organisations that provide international students support – your embassy, High Commission, consulate will also provide this information.  The UKNFS with OCHD believe that the Higher Education Institute or college in your home country and national level overseas students support department will have provided this information, and that your UK university or college will have this information and provide it to you as well, evidencing their commitment to your welfare and support, and their pastoral Duty of Care.

However, whilst this booklet/information resource takes a UK national-level international students’ support perspective, it concentrates directly on the England South Coast Dorset and Hampshire (and adjacent areas) counties and region. 

For Dorset and the region, the UK Nepal Friendship Society (UKNFS) in conjunction with One Community Hampshire and Dorset (OCHD) have established, international students and universities recognised expertise, and a proud record of providing independent guidance and support.

In the Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole (BCP) area, the UKNFS and OCHD partnership work closely with the BCP Citizens Advice service — — and also have relationships with the International Education Council (IAC) group of language colleges that also includes Bournemouth & Poole College and Bournemouth University (BU), and the Arts University Bournemouth (AUB).

Citizens Advice:

Guidance on completing the BCP Citizens Advice online enquiry form: If the subject of your enquiry is related to any of the topics highlighted in the subject box, please ensure you select the appropriate subject. If the subject of your enquiry is not relevant to the listed options, please select “other”.

In the box titled “Any additional comments”, please highlight in as much detail as possible the circumstances of your issue, including reference to your status as an international student. If you are unable to or do not wish to provide details regarding the issue on the contact form, please don’t worry, our advisers will be able to discuss circumstances with you in follow-up communication.

The important parts of the form to complete are those highlighted with an asterisk, including contact details, but it would be useful for monitoring and research if the person completing the form could highlight that they are an international student. We often receive enquiries that do not include much information other than contact details, which is fine as our advisors will explore things when they make contact with the client.

How to find your local Citizens Advice